Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 1



My friend SP and I were having cafecito during our bruja hour and she mentioned a food critic stops having meat and alcohol for 30 days after nye. He does this to reset his palette. We figured we can reset our palette and also lose some weight in the process.

I did some vegetarian research last night. I didn't know there were so many variations of vegetarianism. Octo, Lacto, Fruit, Demi. There's tons of ways to justify your diet. No eggs, cheese, no red meat but I eat chicken. I hit up my good friend sister who is a lifelong vegetarian for some tips and recipes. She also asked what kind of vegetarian I would be. I decided that I'm going to be a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian (which means I can take down some dairy and eggs). The other versions are very strict and vegan is just a bit extreme for an amateur like myself. I want to take on the challenge of having no meat (no chicken, seafood, red meat.. any meat) and no booze for 30 days and survive. If it all goes well (keeping fingers crossed) I may consider being a vegetarian once a week every month. That is being a bit optimist but I typically am.. we'll see.

I will post recipes and tips that I get from my peeps to help out my friends that are taking this challenge with me. So far we go two willing mujeres that stepped up, so that's three in total. My boyfriend, wait correction, fiancee said he will do it as well but will cheat when he's away. He claims he'll need some seafood or chicken or else he'll lose whatever fat is holding him together and well he's probably right. I said "don't ask, don't tell". I don't want to know. So far, he's a demi vegetarian for the next 30 days.

Features I found handy so far:
iphone apps: whole foods, veg kickstart for 21 days, vegrecipes

veg friends: Chris

I am currently looking for good vegetarian blogs.

Breakfast: Soyrizo and Eggs and wheat tortilla. Coffee.

Lunch: Vegetarian Chili

Dinner: TBD

Snacks: Banana

16 comments:

  1. i'm pretty much sticking to no red meat and no alcohol. i will eat chicken and seafood. adding to the diet nopales, rajas, beans and lots of hearty soups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to ask Lady CaCa if I can borrow her meat dress, its probably been turned into beef jerky by now so please carry a rag for your drool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, do not forget to amp up your fruit intake as well...be careful w/ meat substitutes...have alot of sodium...You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a thought...after the 30 days you can do,"No Meat Mondays" or something..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris. yeah danny is more vegetarian friendly than i am. Most of the time he chooses a couple days out of the week to be vegetarian. He also convinced me to Fishy Friday and no meat Monday. He's got the right idea, I just need to follow!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. After the thirty days, we can continue with only eating meat once a week, like the french diet I shared with you a few months ago.

    Tonight, I went to my friend's birthday party. I know they are drinkers and foodies. Good thing there were non-alcoholic beverages, salads, and a great pasta dish. Afterwards, intentionally met a friend at a diner so not to go to a bar. Day three for me, so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria..I'm ready for the challenge:P I'm going to try doing no meat, chicken, or seafood..oh and no alcohol..

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok Maria.so today was my first day.. and i must admit.. piece of cake... day 1 almost over.. 29 more days to go.. GIRL POWER @ ili and maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. @iliana glad you are. I know you enjoy a challenge!! You will have to keep eye on Roxy. I'm really shocked she will give up what she loves most.. Burgers and Booze!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @roxxy82 awesome.. glad your first day was good. Did u say you ate cake? LMAO!!! Yes, 29 more to go. I found a good place to eat in alhambra.. it's called loving hut. I put the link up on my DAY 2 blog. You can find it on the right side. Click on Day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Rprado good for you. Meeting at bars are not good. The temptation is great!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roxxy82..you ate cake..whhhaaat?! :)
    Maria, we added no sodas..no coffee. Let's see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ilianac and roxy.. WHAT!! no soda and no coffee. now that's hardcore. I can do without soda but not coffee. Whoa!! Locas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg i just found out im not drinking soda or cafe anymore.. pray for me guys :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. day 3.. so i was put to the test my first day.. i was with a friend at a bar.. and was surrounded my temptation.. ice cold beers slowly dripping tear drops off the glass.. OMG i felt like I was going to go insane... I had to get out of DAve n Busters.. I usually have so much fun there drink n play.. well the games werent as fun.. well glad to say I made it.. I had good company .. very supportive and postive... rubbed off on me since my friend made it look easy to have fun and not drink.. Thanks friend.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @roxy good for you. the support and the friends around you totally make a difference. I know what you mean by temptation.. I start at my liquor stash and it's waving at me everytime I pass by. Hahaa..

    ReplyDelete